How can I explain GoCardless to my customers?
If you’re using GoCardless to collect payments for regular or one-off invoices you send to customers, it’s key to get your customers to agree to sign up to the Direct Debit mandate they receive.
We know that there is sometimes resistance from customers, as they will assume that you are trying to collect a regular payment from them, as this is how we are all used to Direct Debits working.
But GoCardless linked to Xero will only collect payment when it sees a customer invoice in Xero with a current due date, so even for one off or irregular invoices, GoCardless still works a treat.
For more info on the benefits of using GoCardless for your business, and how it works, check out our blog: Why should I use GoCardless and how does it link to Xero?
Wording for your customers
To help you out, we’ve developed this handy guide to help you to communicate the benefits to your customers.
Please do copy and paste the wording below, or get in touch and we can provide a Google Doc with the wording, that you can then tweak into a lovely PDF.
Why we are using GoCardless to collect invoice payments from you.
- It’s very easy for you to sign up to
- Payments are collected automatically
- You don’t have to remember to make a payments
How GoCardless works
- GoCardless can only collect a payment from you when it sees an invoice from us that is due for payment.
- When it sees this invoice, it starts collecting the payment from you.
- Under the Direct Debit rules, it will start collecting this from your bank 2 days before the due date of our invoice.
- So if you have an invoice from us that is due on 30 September, GoCardless will start the collection on 28 September.
- We will be notified once you have paid, and you don’t need to do anything!
What are the benefits to you?
- You’ve entered into a contract with us that includes paying our invoices by their due date.
- By accepting our Direct Debit mandate you will have peace of mind that your payments will be made on the due date, and this won’t affect our service to you.
- You don’t need to physically make a payment to us.
Will we collect regular payments?
- GoCardless will only collect regular monthly payments if you have regular invoices from us.
- If you receive one off or irregular/ad-hoc invoices from us, it will only collect payment for those, on their due date.
Can you cancel the Direct Debit mandate?
- You can cancel at any time, but bear in mind that it is part of our terms and conditions that you have agreed to, that we will collect payments from you by Direct Debit.
We find that it is best to communicate the benefits to customers before you start getting them to sign up, as many people do still think of regular monthly Direct Debits.
Feel free to copy and paste this wording, and do have a look at our blog: Why should I use GoCardless and how does it work with Xero?
Thank you for reading!
Kinder Pocock are an approachable cloud-savvy firm of accountants based in Herefordshire but supporting businesses on the move.
We specialise in Security/Technology, Design and Indie Hospitality businesses.
Contact Us to see how we can help